Sunday, October 24, 2004

Day 1

It's here. I'm hungover. What else is new?

Actually, I didn't get totally hammered last night. I had my husband take me home at a reasonable hour (he went back and got totally hammered it looks like--10 AM and still in bed.)
But this is the last Sunday that I will wake up feeling tired and groggy and generally gross.

AA says One Day at A Time. I have never done really well with that since my addictive self views that as license to drink tomorrow. So, for me I will use a 90 day block. I don't plan to drink ever again, but I certainly won't drink before January 21, 2005 (I think that's 90 days.)

Last night, there was a guest at the party who had quit drinking; I'm not sure what his reasons were. He showed up with a big bottle of Coke and no one cared that he wasn't drinking. I'm going to be that person next time. Although, I think I'm going to stay away from temptation for the next few weeks.

1 Comments:

Blogger R J Adams said...

One of my challenges has been, for a number of years now, to live my life 'in the moment'. We are mostly ok at any one moment in time, and it is fear of the unknown, usually the future, that stirs negative emotions. I try to take the future out of my life, and live in the eternal 'now'. Here I am safe, secure, and nothing can touch me. I do not suffer from alcoholism, but I quit that other scourge, tobacco, by utilizing this technique. We can't always avoid temptation, but not pre-judging our ability to handle it by 'living' the temptation over and over in our minds before it happens, can be a key to overcoming it more easily. 'One day at a time'is really a variation of living in the moment.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home