Sunday, August 20, 2006

take three...but this time it sticks

Today I woke up with a horrible hangover. And the resolve to never feel that way again. I went to an AA meeting and joined it as a home group. (I've been there before.) I will do whatever it takes to not pick up a drink ever again. One day at a time.

I enjoyed the meeting. The first speaker went on and on, and I couldn't relate to his story of jails and rehab. But the second speaker was a woman who said many things that I could identify with, in particular about how we use alcohol to numb emotions. That is me in a nutshell. Feeling bad about myself, my family etc? Have a drink! No more.

Today I am grateful for:

Feeling like I can get back on track again.

For recovery groups--online and off, secular and 12 step.

For cranberry juice and ginger ale.

For knowing I will wake with a clear head tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Carly said...

You can do it, one day at a time...

7:22 PM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

I believe you will get this. You keep coming back and there will be a time when you don't even realize it would your absolute last drink . . .

I believe something within your soul will ignite, and days of freedom will result.

I am grateful you are here.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

however many takes it takes Red :)
thanks for sharing

10:18 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

August 20, 2006 .....
that date has a nice ring to it

3:56 AM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Are you ready?

8:15 AM  
Blogger JennaM said...

Your resolve is an inspiration, RG.

Wishing you all good things in the world...

JennaM

8:42 AM  
Blogger Maui said...

Get a sponsor. Do what you're told. Shut your mouth. Work the steps. And most of all don't pick up.

EASY.

:)

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home