Monday, October 16, 2006

Funny thing about meetings

I went to a meeting tonight, kind of half-hearted about heading out and leaving my family after being at work all day. But I'm glad I went. I'm finding more and more that when I make myself go, I hear things that resonate with me at that meeting. Tonight, there were several very good speakers. One old gentlemen reminded me of a very courtly Fred Astaire type and he was very funny and good to hear.

Another speaker, a woman, spoke of how unavailable she was when she drank. And how drinking filled a need in her...she was full of insecurity, doubt, fear. Drinking made those feelings go away but they made her unavailable to her children. I think that was true for me. I have lost a lot of time with my kids. I was physically present but completely tuned out when I sat drinking my wine.

Both speakers spoke of hope, however, and how being in AA gave them that. I think I feel a little bit of that, and I guess it's why I go even when I don't really feel like it.

Today I am grateful for:

58 hangover free mornings (I'll pick up my 60 day chip this weekend at my regular meeting)

the absolutely glorious October we have been having her in New England

a great conversation with my 12 year old son this weekend about my alcohol issues

my cutie pie niece who turned one a couple of days ago

that I don't ever have to pick up a drink again

5 Comments:

Blogger lash505 said...

The simple things..

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so important to this entire entity. You, with 59 days sober (a day late for me) give me hope girl. This is the magic we discover being a part of this fellowship.

60s upcoming, one day at a time!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Trudging said...

You give me hope too! It is the simple things that matter.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are a miracle. ~

6:43 PM  
Blogger Pam Jarnagin said...

Congratulations on 60 days!!!! You truly ARE a miracle.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home