Monday, September 18, 2006

Still sober, still sad

Today is 30 days again for me. I'm going to wait to collect my chip next Sunday at my regular meeting. I haven't been getting to any meetings at all lately as I've been mostly at the hospital with my Dad.

His condition remains serious. He went into cardiac arrest last Thursday (sorry if I already posted that) and the doctors started talking about "end of life decisions". We were all basket cases on Thursday, my siblings, mom and myself.

Then Friday came and they managed to wean him from the ventilator. We were overjoyed as they were very pessimistic they would be able to accomplish this. On Saturday, he was still off and he was able to communicate with us for the first time in a week. A little profanity from Dad about doctors and hospitals did us all some good.

But Sunday, he had a setback and he was back on the ventilator. We were all wiped out again. Today, he was alert but on the ventilator and unable to communicate. He was frustrated trying to use hand motions to let us know what was on his mind. He had a breathing episode while I was there which was scary.

It's been an ordeal. I still have Airplane moments, but I am holding steady in staying sober. I'm just really tired and sad these days.

Thanks to all for the support.

14 Comments:

Blogger R J Adams said...

Hang in there, Redhead Gal.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Pam Jarnagin said...

Thanks so much for the update, sweetie. I'm still keeping you, your Dad, and your family in my prayers. I'm so proud of you for remaining sober through this. I know it must be harder than anything I can imagine. Hang in there! (((hugs)))

10:29 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

I know it's very tough on you and your family. And, of course, your Dad.
You must take care of yourself in order to be of any help to them. Try to find an hour to get to a meeting (many hospitals have them).

5:03 AM  
Blogger jake said...

I found you through sober chick.....I think is great that you are staying sober for 32 days now....congrats!

2:15 PM  
Blogger jake said...

I will say a prayer for your Dad....wishing you and your family the best...

2:17 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Congrats on 30 days. I am sorry about your Dad. Hang in there, things get better

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red,

COngrats on 30 days. I am sorry to hear about your dad, and I will say a prayer for him and you today. Keep truding girl, you can do it.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

Stay close with us. Thank you for writing about it. Your dad is blessed to have you there by his side.

I pray that he will have that fiest-ness to continue to curse!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

I hope that did not come out wrong. I pray that your dad holds that fiestiness to conitnue to fight -- and you hold yours as well. You are fighting a different battle, and so far you are doing great.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Hang in there! I am sorry about your dad. My dad died suddenly of a heart attack which I feel was a blessed moment! He didn't have time to think about it, but he was only 77 years old.
You (And your dad) are in my prayers.

12:11 AM  
Blogger JennaM said...

I'm thinking about you, RG. Those ventilator ordeals are terrifying and exhausting. Take good care of yourself.

xoxo
JennaM

7:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on your thirty days.

I will send up some more prayers for strength for you and your loved ones. Hang in.

G~

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Red,
Just checking in to say Hello.
I hope all is well..
Keep us posted.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Pam Jarnagin said...

Hey, sweetie. Just checking in. Give us an update when you feel up to it and have a chance. Take care of you. (((hugs)))

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home