Sunday, October 01, 2006

A talk with my daughter; a visit with my Dad

Today, for the first time, I acknowledged my drinking problem to my 13 year old daughter. We were talking about substance abuse among teenagers and the conversation veered towards alcohol use among teenagers. I told her that I'd been struggling for a while with trying to over come the problem. She asked if the meetings I attend are AA meetings and I said yes. That wasn't as hard as I expected. It feels like the air cleared between us a bit--that big elephant in the room was quiet but took up some space, I guess.

I sometimes wonder what my kids have thought about my drinking. I have never been a "get up in the morning" and drink type. Mostly it's been evening, with a large part occurring after they went to bed. If anything, they dealt with the hungover mom more than the drunk mom. But they have seen their share of drunk mom, especially when we were with grown up friends who drank.

Visited with my Dad at the hospital today. He is doing incredibly well. He can talk now and today was the first conversation we've been able to have in weeks. He's got a sparkle in his eye and his color is good. He's anxious to get home but he's still got some time in the hospital. Hard to believe he was near death's door three weeks ago. Looks like beat the devil this time around.
I am so thankful.

Today I'm grateful for:

43 hangover free mornings

my Dad's recovery

my daughter's acceptance

the beautiful fall colors against the grey sky today

cranberry and ginger ale

fresh pineapple

the gooey chocolate cake someone brought to my meeting today

7 Comments:

Blogger Gooey Munster said...

Wow, so many wonderful changes happening. It is funny how we can let honesty not to occur . . . so much fear behind that. It is wonderful to hear of you speak about your honesty to your daughter.

I am really glad to hear about the progress of your dad. And, 43 hangover free days, you are one happening miracle.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Pam Jarnagin said...

You've got blessings raining down on you, girl! That's wonderful news about your Dad's recovery. What a gift to have that honesty with your daughter, and to have that opportunity to share with her at that level! And 43 DAYS!!!! :D

1:05 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

That's really good that you've been so honest with your daughter. They know anyway; might as well be honest.

I love gooey chocolate.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have given much to your daughter now that you have openly
talked about your drinking Red.Something that cannot be put into words,but rather,within your shared bond.Wonderful to read.
Good to read about your Dad doing well too!Thank you for sharing.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Nice list

6:24 PM  
Blogger R J Adams said...

Small steps, great strides. Well done, Redhead Gal. I'm so glad your father is progressing well.

10:59 AM  
Blogger JennaM said...

What a lovely post. I feel sunnier already! It is interesting to look at how we link our pasts (parents) and futures (kiddies), and to think about how there's some of each in ourselves (your daughter's compassion and your father's endurance, mingling inside of you, trying to add up to some kind of loving self-care...)

Wishing you all good things.
Jenna

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home