Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Sober activities

Went to see Richard Thompson (a British folk rock singer whom I adore) last weekend. The concert was great and I was thinking how glad I was that I wasn't drinking. If I had been, I would have had several glasses of wine before the show, and then I would have been jonesing through the show, wishing I had more wine (it was an alcohol free venue--woohoo!) rather than enjoying the music, which I did thoroughly.

On the way home, I enjoyed a nice cold ginger beer that my husband had thoughtfully packed for me in his mini cooler (Alas, he brought his beer.). But it was delicious and way better than alcohol would have been.

Got to go to the Red Sox last night with some people from my old job. Some of my old colleagues were a bit shocked when I turned down wine. And I'm really glad I did. Especially since they would have opened a bottle just for me (we were in box seats). And I would have had to fight not to drink it all by myself in front of all these folks. Not drinking is so much better. I got caught up with old friends and enjoyed the game. And the Sox won, despite the bullpen problems. There's nothing like seeing Big Papi hit one over the wall.

5 Comments:

Blogger Phyllis said...

I think the entire first year was very exciting! The first three months (which you have now) was a milestone, as I used to get drunk about every three months. Then 6 months, WOW!! 9 months is a pregnancy!! A YEAR?? I never went through my entire life with a YEAR of no alcohol! AS a baby mom would put my pacifier in bourbon then stick it in sugar for me to suck on. And of course the sip I'd take from their glasses as a toddler. How great it is reading your posts as a freshly sober alcoholic!! It keeps me sober. THANKS!! (I sure wish I could send you a medallion)!!

10:32 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

Woohoo you went to the Red Sox game. It was a great game! And you didn't drink...woohoo....I actually go and sit in the "no drinking" section. Makes for a better time when you don't have a bunch of drunk fans spewing beer all over the place. Ginger beer? Never heard of it.....good huh?
Peace,
JJ

6:28 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Congrats on 3+ months of sobriety.

And family, while they can be a wonderful support, it's also amazing to see what a pain in the butt they can be sometimes.

I am personally outraged that anyone was betting that you'd be drinking at the wedding, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

I know for me that if I heard someone was making bets like that on me, it would piss me off so much that I'd probably never drink again just to spite them.

Keep it up, you're doing great.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Hey, someone bet ME that I wouldn't last 6 months. I got $50.00 from him on December 21, 1987!!
Ginger beer! I love Reed's extra ginger ginger beer! But now I can't have the sugar!! bummer!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Richard Thompson and ginger beer, perfect! I had to go and buy a bottle after reading your post! I dont think I'd had ginger beer since I was a kid, I think it could be a potential replacement for wine! Lovely ice cold!

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home