Sunday, June 19, 2005

Life is good

Today I'm sober and happy. My family held its annual Father's Day/birthday (three of us have a birthday this week) bash bbq. It is NOT a drunkfest though. Just a pleasant cookout where we all bring too much food and let the guys grill it. Then we have cake (And lots of it. We had THREE cakes this year--food planning was bit off). We pass around greeting cards to each other (we've tailed off on the gift giving over the years). Hallmark stock goes up about now, since we all try to outdo each other with the funniest greeting card.

The kids played football in the yard, we all chatted quite a bit about my sister's wedding next month, we watched a dvd of snapshots from her shower that my brother cleverly set to music, and we had fun trying to take a group photo with cameras set on timers so we could all be in it. There is one hilarious shot with my brother's backside as he dives into the photo. And I enjoyed every bit without any urge to drink at all. My family has pretty much accepted my not drinking and I made it clear that I would not be drinking at the wedding. No one has a problem with that and no one is pressing us to get a hotel room that night rather than drive home. I guess they believe me.

Seven weeks sober today.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phyllis said...

It takes awhile for family and friends to accept your sobriety. Some people won't like it at all. Tough poop to them! It's your life, and enjoy each day as a gift!!

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time Red. 7 weeks, what a gift huh ? Im gld to see you are starting to write more as well.
You go girl!!

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are sounding great!
Peace,
JJ

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home