Monday, June 06, 2005

Dreaded Event

Well, I geared up for the worst and it turned out okay after all. This weekend was my sister's bridal shower. She always wanted a coed shower her best friend and my fellow bridesmaid (despite my objections, but that's another story) arranged what essentially was a keg party with over a hundred invited. Plus, it was scheduled to be an 8 hour event (longer than the wedding).

I prepared myself all week with how I was going to get through it without drinking. I made sure there were tons of soft drinks, focused on taking pictures and hanging out with non-drinkers. I also sought and received a lot of support from my online recovery group. And of course I took the Antabuse.

The party lasted a long time and there were a LOT of people there. But the drunkfest I dreaded never really happened. Yes, a lot of beer was drank but over the course of a long afternoon and evening. But there were only three real drunks, everyone else was pretty mellow. We went through a LOT of soft drinks--I had made sure we had boatloads and people seemed to choose those quite often, in the end there was none left.

On the whole, it was a successful event, although not one I want to repeat. My sister and her fiancee were surprised and delighted. I've proved to myself that you can dance and also sing karaoke (um, yeah, I did, but not well) and have fun conversations with out drinking. I caught up with a bunch of cousins I haven't seen since my own wedding years ago. It was unexpectedly fun, although I could have done with a much shorter day.

My 18 year old nephew commented jokingly to me "Auntie, I guess Uncle is going to be the family drunkard now." While he was teasing me, there was a recognizable grain of truth in the comment, although my brother won't be replacing me; he was just a bit of a dancing fool last night. And I did have a more indepth conversation with my sister and brother about my reasons for not drinking anymore.

Did I crave alcohol at any point? I would be a liar if I said that a cold beer on a hot afternoon did not call to me or that a glass of wine crossed my mind. But I put it out of my mind and went and talked to people. I notice I am a way better listener without drinking too. I can focus on the conversation.

Sober, I was able to help my sister with the ridiculous amount of presents she received (!!!) (she was pretty taken aback). I drove home safely. I woke up early with no hangover. I went to the beach for a few hours with my kids and their cousins, then we caught about half of the baseball game we were planning to attend. Came home, took a dip in the pool and enjoyed my garden. Cooked a spaghetti dinner.

And you know what??? Life is good.

8 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Fantastic! I cant think of anything else to say, you are doing SO well and give me hope and inspiration :-)

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the next day that really feels great!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go Girl!!!! Great job at the shower and great post. You did it and I am so proud of you. It reminded my of that bday party I was telling you about for my lil sis. It was my first non drinking family event, and they didnt even notice I didnt drink. I danced, sang etc and I had a great time drinking water :)

Keep up the great work :)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

I would be telling a lie also if I told someone that I don't "crave" alcohol! I do, but it is not an option any more! That is the difference!
Good for you! One obstacle out of the way!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Grateful said...

Congratulation on very successfully getting over this obstacle. Now you know you can do it again if necessary and you don't have to be afraid. Ain't sobriety cool?!
Keep stepping!

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And with each event you get through sober, you get stronger. Good going!!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you ???

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry. If you do worry, know that it like trying to solve an algebra problem by chewing bubble gum.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home