Wednesday, September 14, 2005

MIA

I've been MIA. I crashed and burned over my vacation and ended up drinking for a ten day period. I've been sober since, though. I'm happy I got back on track quickly.

So what do I think happened?

I think I lost focus on the benefits of being sober. Even before vacation, I stopped checking in with myself in all situations and reminding myself over and over how sober is better. I started taking the Antabuse sporadically. I lagged in getting a refill. The idea that drinking can be fun started to creep in and I let it. Memories of that wine at sunset on the beach started looking romantic and inviting. I bought into the idea (mine-no one else's) that I can buy it just to cook with it, can't I? I'm making mussels--they need wine, right?

What's scary is how fast a glass of wine at the beginning of vacation week spiralled into almost two bottles by the end of the week. How my resolution to get on track immediately on the last night of the vacation resulted in my buying wine "just to cook with" two nights later and drinking most of it. To wrestling with myself that afternoon over whether that was a good idea. I realized that in less than a fortnight I was right back to my old patterns. Not good.

What I did about it:

I committed to taking Antabuse daily for six months at least, maybe more.
I committed to a regular daily checkin on the sobriety support email list I belong to that worked so well for a while.
I am reconsidering once more my ideas of fun.
I am throwing out all of my recipes that call for wine or alcohol.

Still have had bad moments in the weeks since then but have not succumbed. Thanks to those of you who checked in.

I also decided to stop counting. I think there is something about counting time that leads me to believe I can drink again after reaching certain milestones, say 90 days. I didn't think I would be able to not count, but in fact, I'd have to go back and calculate how much time it's been since my last drink after my vacation ended.

14 Comments:

Blogger R J Adams said...

Welcome back - thought I'd lost you. "To err is human...."
Your getting stronger all the time, Readhead Gal.

11:23 AM  
Blogger R J Adams said...

...and my typing's getting worse - Readhead Gal? Sorry, Redhead Gal! ;-)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Good to see you back! I've missed reading your blog.

Doesn't relapse suck? Worst frickin feeling in the world. I'm glad it didn't last long, and you're taking steps to prevent another one. All good stuff!

Have you looked into AVRT? It may at least have some techniques and ideas you may find helpful. Pat swears by it, and Grace is starting to have some great success. I'm sure they'd be happy to share their experience with you.

God bless you!

12:37 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

Welcome back girlfriend. I've missed you. I'm glad you decided to give it another try. I've never taken Antabuse...it makes you very sick if you drink right? I'm so blonde sometimes.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

HI RHG, good to see you back, missed you! I was just going to say what Phil said! I've had good success with AVRT so far and the thoughts I can see creeping into your mind sound like your addictive voice. I've heard you mention your AV before so maybe you have looked into it. Mine nearly got me with the 'wine for recipes' trick. I NEVER 'wasted' a drop of alcohol in cooking for years, but the thought popped into my mind last week! Losing focus on sobriety gives the AV the perfect route in. I think no matter how people get to abstain, the AVRT technique seems good to be aware of for maintaining sobriety, it helps to stay aware of the AV's tricks. Call by if you need any more info?

3:07 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Ooops! Oh well, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and on with your life! Guess what, you aren't the first one to slip, and won't be the last! The good part is, you know how you felt after trying the alcohol, and didn't like it! Thanks for sharing your story with us! It keeps me sober another night! Well, I'm off to my Friday night AA meeting!! Ta-ta!!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Politically Homeless said...

I'm so glad you're back. I'm glad to see your new resolve. This is something you can do.

*Hugs*

10:55 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I admire for your honesty and your resolve.

You can do this, glad to hear you're back on track.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

RHG, my blog has moved to: http://www.soberthoughts2.blogspot.com as I deleted the other!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

Hang in there. Recovery from anything's a bitch. Thanks for sharing your story. It really does help other people.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Thanks for helping me stay sober today. I hope you're well.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Noble is so right! I have been attending AA meetings for over 18 years and have stayed sober. You cannot do it on your own especially if you hang around other drinkers. You will feel left out, and you just want to be accepted as part of the group, and if your husband drinks, it will be very hard for you to stay sober. I am not saying leave your husband, but get to AA meetings and get some strength through the others there!
I praying for you!!
Believe me, if I can stay sober...ANYONE can stay sober. One day at a time.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hola Redhead Gal~ Get into progressive reocvery! Get out of any possible ego fixation of it's all about me-me-me! Love Creator God, Stay Straight and Help Others. ~It ain't brain surgery!

CASA Online ~ Check out a Progressive Christian Approach to Recovery
http://groups.msn.com/CASAHOMEPAGE

I appreciate your sharing and that take scourage!

Peta de Aztlan
Sacramento, Califas
sacranative@yahoo.com
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7:02 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

For your sake I hope you are back on track and on the road to recovery! Do it for yourself. I know your self esteem is pretty low about now. It is never too late to quit drinking. I did it and my entire family are heavy drinkers. I left my husband, my mom was my drinking buddy so I betryed her by quitting. She is dead now of alcohol related stomach bleed. If you need help, email me. Find the nearest AA meeting and go find some people to help you.
God Bless you!@

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home