Friday, October 27, 2006

too much boring chit chat

Last night, I had to attend a work event. Tonight, I attended a neighborhood dinner party which is an attempt by one of my neighbors to get us all to bond. It actually is a nice idea and wasn't all that bad. Not as bad as the work event, where I only lasted twenty minutes.

It seems that without alcohol I have no ability to stand around and chit chat on a social basis. I feel awkward and uncomfortable and tend to cling to the few people I know rather than get around and meet others.

I hate that. I don't want to drink. But I don't like feeling this way at events either. And I can't avoid them completely. A certain amount of socializing is required at work as "team building" and it's the way working relationships are formed. As for things that don't involve work, my husband likes to socialize and I can't deprive him completely of the opportunity. He likes to drink occasionally too, although he only had a couple tonight.

Anyway it's made me grumpy and I suppose I better do a gratitude list:

tomorrow will be ten weeks of hangover free mornings

tomorrow we will celebrate my Dad's 84th birthday with a potluck party. In September it didn't look like he'd make 84 and I'm very grateful he is around for one more year of our annual get together

I am grateful that I HAVE a job that enables me to support my family

and that I have neighbors who care enough to try to get to know each other

9 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

I learned when I first got sober just how alcohol is EVERYWHERE. Someone dies...people drink. Someone is born...people drink. Someone wins a football game...people drink. Someone's birthday...people drink. But I know you got that picture. Stay strong sista.
JJ

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

10 WEEKS!!!!! You go girl! I am so proud of you. I think the gratitude list will help, that and a small prayer. You guys are right, alcohol is everywhere, but we can't change that. Im at the point I dont question other people ability to drink anymore, I jsut know I cant. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU

April

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 84 birthday to your dear dad! It is wonderful that all will be present to celebrate this day.

I always enjoy reading your honesty. I know the exact emotions you experience when it comes to social events. For me I rather retreat to self. However in finding my truth, I now seek the solution. Sometimes it is more challenging than other times, but in the end it is growth.

You are growing. Congrats on the 10 weeks!!!!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Congrats on your 10 weeks! That's great.

12:01 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

They already said all the good stuff.
I'll just add that for YOU, it's a matter of forming new habits, which can happen very easily.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Ten weeks is awesome!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

After awhile you get the hang of doing the social thing sober. It does suck to feel awkward. All the other people feel that way too.

10 weeks is AWESOME. The hardest times you are getting thru. YAYYYYY!!!!

Happy B-day DAD~

8:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

In the beginning people , places and things can be supremely difficult. In time they become easier. I avoided most drinking situations like the plague in the beginning. I could not, however, get out of family get togethers aka drunkfests. They were the most difficult. I pray alot and hung out with "the ancients" and kids. Also found a way to watch tv a lot. Genreally not so sociable but it was what I needed to do in order to get through it.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween, hope you are having a great sober evening.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home