Monday, November 06, 2006

California trip

I'm back from San Francisco and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's a neat city, very different from my home base in Boston and even from New York. My favorite thing had to be the people watching--what a diverse population and there are some really...er, unique folks there. And friendly, even the bums on the street were chatty and some were quite creative about how they panhandle cash. We were telling my sister in law last night about one creative fella we ran into and it turns out they'd seen the same guy when they were out there! (He holds some tree branches so you think you are passing a bush then jumps out at you. It was funny in broad daylight anyway...)

The homeless population is a huge issue, though. There seemed to be homeless in every door way of every building. It was very sad and it was clear that addiction is a huge problem for many.

We did a lot of walking through the various neighborhoods and ate a LOT. Avocados are the most incredibly tasty thing...way tastier near where they grow than back home. I visited the farmer's market at the Ferry building and was in heaven. So many varieties of different produce, organic cheeses, yummy samples...I wish we had one like it in Boston. (We have Haymarket but that just sells the near rotten stuff that the groceries stores reject...it's not a real farmer's market.)

The only sobriety challenge was a Mexican restaurant where I envied my husband's margarita. But I had a very tasty tamarind agua fresca so I quickly got over it.

I very much want to visit again when I have more time to tour the surrounding areas. We did get to Sausalito but I'd like to drive the coast as well.

Gratitude list:

12 weeks of not waking up with a hangover

Guacamole made fresh in California with California grown avocados

A roof over my head

Feet that can do a lot of walking

That I don't mind a little rain (it was raining)

For safe flights

For my kids being happy to see me upon my return

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is so much to see in SF..I love it there too.
Don't talk to me about rain..ugh..
we have had a Pineapple Express here for the past few days that is just pounding us.
Great list..feet rule..
And congrats on 12 weeks with no hangovers Red:)
thanks for sharing~

12:14 AM  
Blogger lash505 said...

I love the city by the bay..

1:52 AM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Guacamole, I love guacamole! I am glad you had a good time. Congrats on 12 weeks

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow it sounds like you had a really wonderful sober experience. And now 12 weeks of hang over free mornings! How fresh that is.

So I heard this comedian talk about homeless people and how he caught himself complaining that he would not give the homeless money cuz they would spend it on booze and drugs. Then he thought, "wait a second, I would spend it on booze and drugs." It was really funny when he said it, cuz so many people waste $$$ on alcohol.

Upon my brother's birthday dinner I saw the bill. The alcohol was more than the food, and I was so happy for only ordering food that night. (like over 100 bucks of alcohol was ordered for mostly my brother's wife and his sister-n-la).

ok, thought I'd share this, not that you asked.

Happy Tuesday.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Dharma Kelleher said...

From the moment I walked down the street in the Castro, I knew I was home.

7:02 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

GREAT stuff!

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home