Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween post-mortem

Lookee here, I figured out how to upload images to my blog! Zoiks!


Halloween turned out to be a tough one sobriety wise but I made it through sober. This may have been my first sober Halloween since I was a kid myself; I can't remember.

I am trying to take the rest of the week off and between trying to clear my desk at the office and still leave to get home in time for trick or treat, I had strong drinking urges on the drive home. So I picked up the phone and called my friend from AA who helped a lot. She wants me to call her every day so the pressure doesn't build. I feel very strange about that but I think I am going to take the suggestion.

The drinking urge stayed with me through out the evening and I wonder how much of it was old connections (Halloween = alcohol) and how much was due to my upcoming trip to California. (Vacation= alcohol and California = wine). I will not drink but I hate the discomfort of wanting to.

While I'm out in California, I plan to attend a few meetings, including a LifeRing meeting. Lifering is a secular recovery group that I belong to online and I would like to check it out and perhaps meet some folks I've corresponded with online.

Today I am grateful for:

Waking up without a hangover, which I surely would have had if I'd drank

My Dad's turning 84 yesterday

Almond Joys! (I give them out for treats so I can eat them)

My upcoming trip--be back on Sunday

having someone to call when the cravings really get strong

my kids being young enough to really enjoy Halloween

8 Comments:

Blogger Trudging said...

Some times you feel like a nut(Almond Joys that is). I am glad that you picked up the phone. Keep picking it up.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a clever idea of a pumpkin scene. Now that you figured out images I hope we get to see more.

I understand your Halloween relation to drinking. Funny cuz I posted something about this today.

You woke up sober, that is priority! Happy November!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Halloween is the second biggest party night of the year, the first being Saint Patrick's Day!
I was a bartender for 17 years and loved to put on the Halloween parties. I now party at home handing out goodies to the kids and loving it!
That phone can get pretty heavy at times but I am glad you are strong enough to pick it up and call someone!! You can call me anytime!!

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Red,
Good to read you will take up the suggestion to call daily.Good advice.
I knew someone was missing from my links when I changed templates!!
Sorry.You are on my links now.

You sound great!
I love that picture.
Almonds Joy bars..why didn't think of those!ugh..well not like I didn't eat enough other candies.

Have a great weekend..thanks for sharing.

4:13 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

I'm digging the picture Red. Keep up the good work.
I see you,
JJ

7:09 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

Thank God for your daily reprieve and that you're sober.
Keep the conscious contact with your HP at whatever the cost.

7:23 PM  
Blogger lash505 said...

Yikes it hatched little ones

12:53 AM  
Blogger Pam Jarnagin said...

Thank you for remaining so honest about the very real struggles we go through in these first months of sobriety. I've been thinking it's just me, and not wanting to post about it.

I miss being able to have a cocktail. I miss wine. In my head, I know where that would lead (i.e., having "just one"), but it doesn't mean I don't miss it, at least occasionally, and especially when certain triggers are activiated (like your Halloween=alcohol trigger). Thanks for being real, RG.

((hugs))

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home