Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year, friends!

I wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year.

Health is on my mind a lot today. My Dad went back in the hospital on Christmas eve with chest pains and so spent Christmas there. He is fine, but lost a toe to poor circulation from a diseased cardiovascular system. He is home now and looks good.

I went to see Body World, the exhibit of human bodies with my kids this past week. Pretty fascinating. I was particularly interested in the pathological tissue. Seeing what the inside of hardened arteries look like, the brain after a stroke, the heart after an attack--these things really made me think of my health and how poorly I've been treating my body the last five years or so.

So today I started Weight Watchers. Even more importantly, I have resolved to take a thirty minute walk every day, rain or shine. It's not much but it's a start.

I am very grateful for many things today:

Waking up on New Year's morning with no hangover (can't say the same for dear hubby)

Enjoying myself with friends and good food last night and feeling comfortable enough to leave before midnight (left hubby there, we brought separate cars for that purpose)

The ability to change my habits to improve my health--there's still time

For a lovely day at home and a fire in the hearth

For home made vegetable rolls

That I made it through the holidays sober for the first time since my last pregnancy ten years ago. And it wasn't awful.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A happy and healthy New Year to you, Redhead Gal.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Pam Jarnagin said...

Yay you, RG!! I sooo admire you for being able to stay committed to doing what's good for you. It's wonderful that you enjoyed a sober New Year's celebration! And NO HANGOVER totally rocks!! Just wanted to wish you a FANTASTIC 2007!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

I'm so glad to see you doing so well, I'm back to see if I can follow suit :-)

3:34 PM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

Congrats on a sober Holiday, you made it thru the battle! :)

Once we began to love our insides it becomes more important to us to love our outsides. I usually had made it a habit of working it backwards, and it never healed me correctly. I am in the process of loving the shell that housed my soul.

Good for you and WW. That is a great program. Soon I am going to make the same commitment. I am not ready yet, but am so grateful the plan is there.

Happy New Year to you!!!!

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Ha! I FOUND you!!
You have left many supportive, loving comments on my blog and I see you on other's blogs, but when I look at your profile, your blog isn't listed, so....todAAy I found you listed your homepage address at Grace's place! YEA!!!
Congrats on a sober holiday. And hope to hear more form you in 2007
Peace,
Scout

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home