Saturday, December 09, 2006

a visit with the pshrink

I'm closing in on four months sober (why is it taking so long when time
flies?) and feeling pretty strong in my sobriety, which is fricking
marvelous given that the holidays have always been a major trigger for
me. Holidays and vacations. I am still taking the Antabuse, still
going to meetings, though not as much as I'd like this week. Yesterday, I visited my pshrink to discuss depression and anxiety issues. It looks like sobriety is
unmasking some big issues on that front for me, especially anxiety.
She's started me on an anti-anxiety med (Buspar) at a low dose and upped
my Celexa. Plus, I'm going to start some talk therapy. What I'm not
going to do is self medicate the problem with alcohol anymore. I was
very upfront with pshrink on the alcohol issues. I suppose this means that I'll never have cheap life insurance again, but
so be it.

So hopefully this will bring my emotional house into some semblance of
order.

Last night, I went to a holiday party. Although I am trying to keep it
low key this year and have turned down several invitations, this party
was in our old neighborhood that we absolutely loved when we were there
and we had not been back in several years. My husband in particular
really wanted to go. I am grateful that drinking alcohol was not an
issue for me. I was able to enjoy myself catching up with folks for a
couple of hours. After that, I made husband take me home. He went back
and proceeded to get bombed with a bunch of them. Hearing how one poor
woman (in her 50s with grown children) got trashed and nearly took out a
fish tank when she stumbled, and seeing the condition hubby was in this
AM, I am really really grateful that I don't DO that to myself any longer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pam Jarnagin said...

Good for you, RG! You sound really healthy and grounded.

Now, TAG you're it! Here are the rules: Each player of this game starts with the 6 Weird Things About You. People who get tagged need to write a blog entry of their own 6 Weird Things as well as state this rule clearly. Have fun! :)

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is excellent that you are taking time to heal yourself. Good for you not drinking and living in the consequences when one gets overwhemled by alcohol.

10:25 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

Great idea in going home early. It's really amazing to watch others -- from the outside.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Dharma Kelleher said...

Four months is friggin' awesome! One day at a time. It gets easier.

Peace,
Dharmashanti

Blog: http://themiseryconspiracy.blogspot.com
Web: http://www.dharmashanti.com

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home