Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My drinking spouse

Jenna asked about what it's like for me to have a drinking spouse as I try to get sober. My husband is a "normie": he can take the drink or leave it although he likes Party (with a capital P) when he gets the chance. Mostly, though, he has an occasional beer or two on weekends and that's about it.

What does he think of his recovering spouse? I suppose I should just ask him. I think he definitely approves of the improvement on the home front in the sense that I'm not hungover, angry and irritable all the time (when I wasn't drunk that is). He seems to understand in a way he didn't before that this a permanent change for me. At least he doesn't make suggestions like he used to such as I should just try to cut back or only drink on weekends . He doesn't begrudge the time I spend going to meetings or online and he'll talk about my sobriety experiences with me; he doesn't change the subject immediately like he used to. In fact, I think for the first time, he would be really disturbed if I did pick up a drink. Now I'd have some explaining to do where previously he just kind of shrugged or seemed happy that I was ready to party again.

BUT (there's always a but), I still have a sense that my sobriety is all well and good provided it doesn't interfere with what he wants to do. If he wants us to socialize, I had better be ready to do so even if alcohol will be there. He does make sure I have nonalcoholic drinks and all (and is happy to take me home early if he can return to the party), but the concept of declining an invitation because it might be too much temptation for me is foreign to him. He gets bummed that I don't want to entertain much anymore, because that will involve serving alcohol (he can't conceive of having guests over without serving alcohol--I guess I can't either if they are normies.)

This is probably as good as it's going to get with him. We met because we both were party people and this is a big change for him. He's made progress in that he accepts that I can't drink moderately and that if I start again, I will be back to daily drinking. But he's never going to change his habits for me. The good news there is that he is not a daily drinker or an alcoholic. He does enjoy a good party and will stay until the bitter end with whoever is still partying, but he doesn't need to do that all the time.

I should also note that he is a nice guy, if a bit selfish on certain things. He doesn't want me to suffer; I think he just didn't/doesn't grasp what it is like to have this condition. It's out of his experience. I will say that he has never once made me feel badly that this is how I am, even if he is impatient with the impact on his lifestyle. No recriminations for being an alcoholic.

5 Comments:

Blogger dAAve said...

That's quite similar to my relationship. One difference is that he pushed me through the doors of AA initially. As such, he is my biggest supporter and attends meetings with me.
He also likes to drink to the end with whoever can last as long as he does. I go to sleep early and just see him the next morning.
It works for both of us.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

If it works for both of you that is great. I only hope that you can grow together in this.

Mitch is a normie too. He gave up drinking just cuz. Go figure! We decline many events when invited. We are not missing out on anything. It works for us. :)

I am glad you are going strong and doing this for yourself. And thanks for sharing this with us. I know there are others that need to see that it can be done.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"he just kind of shrugged or seemed happy that I was ready to party again." Wow, do I know that one from a previous relationship. She would practically sigh relieve outloud when I would pick up again -- ick!
Glad those days are gone for you. Personally, I would find it impossible to be with a normie, but I know many, many who make it work just like you are doing.
Peace,
Scout

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don’t know what it would be like to be with a “normie”
My wife doesn’t drink at all… she’s always had an aversion alcohol because alcoholism runs so rampant in her family.

I wonder if my wife did drink - would I have not gone to AA as soon, or would I have transitioned from “managing alcoholic” to “non-managing” much sooner?
hmmm…

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so good to read about someone in recobery living with a normie. I'v been sober for 17 months. WHen i first started the program i paniced and left my husband afaid that his drinking would lead me back.The first year was very difficult being away from home moving 3 times by the grace of God i was alwasy in a safe place. Now that ive reunited with him life is much better. I explained to him before i went back that i could never drink again and knew he wasn't ready to stop. As we all know anyone who drinks normies or not don't want to be told to stop. I've learned not to own his drinking I had enough of my own to own!He respects my recovery and knows what I need to do as far as going to meetings etc. I explained to him that this is life or death issue. I'm sure he is happier seeing me happier smiling and not a bitch!!!!!!!!! Really when it comes down to it my recovery is MINE and to be true to myself . SO far things have only gotten better. If that overflows into the loved ones in my life Thank God.He also read in the Big Book chapter More About Alcoholism so he'd know about my disease.I'v been blessed and countinue to LEt Go and LEt God so much simpler.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home