Friday, January 05, 2007

Master of Fear

Tonight I was asked to chair a Big Book discussion meeting. We read chapter 7 (I think that was the number)--Master of Fear.

I have not been much of a Big Book fan, preferring the practicalities of the Living Sober to the "born again" nature of the Big Book.

But I really liked this reading. And the discussion that followed. The part I really got a lot out of was the growth that the writer described after he put down the drink. He was able to move past his fears and his failures. This gave me so much hope because I believe that one of
the biggest problems my drinking caused for me was an emotional stuntedness and an inability to move forward in my life on nearly any front. I was stuck and I realize now that no growth was possible so long as I was drowning in a river of wine.

I also appreciated the part about not fondling the fun drinking memories. I have a tendency to do that and tomorrow night I will be having dinner with my best friend from high school with whom many of these fun memories occurred. She is also the person I had my last drunk with. I don't know if that was fun; I went into blackout and can't remember. I have pictures and all I see is two drunken middle aged fools. I put down the drink a few days later.

I've told her I don't drink anymore and I expect we will have a discussion about that. She is an alcoholic who has never tried to stop to my knowledge.

Tonight I am grateful for:

waking up hangover free for many days--months--now

for Scout, who sought me out and clued me in that my profile didn't show my blog. I had wondered why some of the bloggers to whom I post comments regularly never visited. I thought they had visited and perhaps didn't care for me. (I'm working on this characteristic of figuring it must be because I'm unlikeable.)

for a kickass meeting and being able to arrive early and having people know me, like me, and even want me to chair

that things at my job went pretty well today

that I have a whole weekend to myself while my husband and kids are off skiing

15 Comments:

Blogger Jen R. said...

I laughed at the characteristic of you thinking the visitors don't like you because I do that to myself all the time. We are all so alike.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Scott M. Frey said...

Yeah, funny... From time to time I feel like my blog is a bit light on comments... It's funny you mentioned that. I think this is the first time I've visited your blog, never having been able to find it from your profile. That Scout's a great gal!

I love what you said about not romancing our drinking episodes. While it's true that I enjoyed some great times while drinking and drugging, I cannot romanticize it past what it was. That's my disease talking... I have to remember to keep that stuff in perspective. It started out fun and innocent enough, but in the end, there wasn't much fun involved at all. In fact, it was my "romance" with drugs and alcohol which kept me using past the point of fun.

Thanks for the great post!

8:04 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

I go to 2 meetings each week that study the Big book. I'm always amazed at the new stuff added in there from time to time; readings that were not there months ago.
I think that book is amazing. It's all about ME!!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I am glad too now I found you!
I am gonna link you. Glad you came by and said hi.

That is a good story in the book! I am so glad you got into it.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Awesome....I am so proud of you! You are sounding so healthy and like a recovering alcoholic!
It took me about two years for me to feel "welcomed" into AA. I never felt like I belonged there either. But I found the right meeting and I am now considered an "old timer" and sponsor alot of gals! ME?!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Pammie said...

Yahoo...I've tried several times to find your blog!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

I bet I'm more unlikeable than you LOL :-) Hope you had a peaceful weekend

12:32 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Yes the Big Book seems to be a living thing.

6:30 PM  
Blogger JennaM said...

Let us know how the dinner went if you can. I'm really chewing on all the permutations of relationships between different kinds of drinkers and non-drinkers (including the sober, the non-addicted, and the actively using, and the "just don't drink"ers...)

Glad to see you doing so well.
xoxo Jenna

10:56 AM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

How wonderful of Scout, she is one rocking chick. I am glad I had you linked up right, I come here directly from my blog.

Sometimes when we are open to listening we hear things that are vvery neccessary for our recovery. I think you might have experienced that. You walked away with something. Keep it alive within you.

I have those feelings too of comments. It is a normal fear, and good to talk about it and realize it is silly. Perhaps we can have a whole Sobriety Society topic stemmed from it. Hahaa!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

hey red, just popping in today to say hello and see how you are... How are you?

8:54 PM  
Blogger lash505 said...

You just can't give a shit about what anyone thinks except for god. I try to at least.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great stuff! So good to see another blooming. What a gift. Thanks for sharing with us.

Gwen~

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! How ARE you and how did the dinner go?
And guess what? Now that people can find you, you have to post! just kidding :)
I AM wondering how you are though!
Peace,
Scout

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! How ARE you and how did the dinner go?
And guess what? Now that people can find you, you have to post! just kidding :)
I AM wondering how you are though!
Peace,
Scout

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home