Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Just checking in

I haven't had much to say the last few days. Things are going pretty well. I am amazed, however, that when I think I'm doing well in my sobriety and really getting the hang of this thing, how a craving for a drink can hit me upside the head.

Tonight, it was while driving home from work and chatting with my husband about boating this summer. We bought a boat and are looking for a place to moor it. The place he is looking at is where a number of people we know moor their boats. And according to my husband, it is very social. Apparently on Friday nights people have cocktail hours on their boats while docked at the marina. BOOM! Big craving to drink hits. I want to have cocktails on the boat like everyone else, yells my addictive voice. I want to have cocktails RIGHT NOW.

Fortunately, I was going to a meeting anyway and was able to slay that dragon right away. But it scares me how powerful the urge can be.

For those who asked about my dinner with my friend the other night, it turned out her husband came along and we did not have much of a chat about drinking. She did ask if I was a friend of Bill W's and I was proud to answer yes. She also drank quite a bit and got a bit sloppy by the end of dinner. I was glad to part company when she did. I do love her though and would like to tell her of my experiences with the program. Although I have never known her to have any inclination to stop drinking.

Today I am grateful for:

many mornings of no hangovers

fried calamari that I had at lunch--worth all 21 of the Weight Watchers points I had to pay for it

that I've got meetings to help me when the addictive voice gets strong

for a fun time rough housing with my 9 year old son. He still loves a good pillow fight, thank goodness.

6 Comments:

Blogger Trudging said...

I am glad that you were going to a meeting! What a nice gratitude list.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Pammie said...

Sometimes "the drink thought" just hits me in the head also. I like to play that tape thru..as we say.
One cocktail always sounds boring to me. PS: my husband can not understand why I have to work a Sudoku puzzle before I go to sleep.(just noticed that in your profile) :)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Meg Moran said...

yeah thats a pretty romantic notion, the mooring, the sundown, the cocktails. I'd have to play the whole movie too...pukin over the side, flirting with the other men, where to hide my stuff on that damn little boat, and of course everyone can hear the screaming fights. OH GAWD MORTIFICATION!!!!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

Hey You,

Wonderful post.

I am back on WW too! I now have 5 days of abstinance from bulimia. I am so grateful to WW. You go and get your points on!!!!

hAAppy fridAAy.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Mary-Anne said...

It can be scarey how the obsession of the mind can take over. I was always told to "follow the drink through to the drunk". Despite the obsession, doing so always grounded me back to reality. Of course getting down on my knees and asking for help never hurt either.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Mary-Anne said...

It can be scarey how the obsession of the mind can take over. I was always told to "follow the drink through to the drunk". Despite the obsession, doing so always grounded me back to reality. Of course getting down on my knees and asking for help never hurt either.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home