Sunday, March 18, 2007

My First Commitment

I went on my first commitment last night. My sponsor, Karen, called me and asked if I want to go along. (Bless her, I've been a terrible sponsee as I never call her. It took all I had there to ask her to the prom in the first place.) I've never gone on one with my group, preferring to stick to my routine regular meetings. But it was not far away and I decided to go, even though I knew I would have to speak.

When we got there, there was the biggest crowd I've ever seen at an AA meeting. Turns out it was a beginner's meeting preceding the commitment meeting. I was having a heart attack about getting in front of that size crowd. But most of them left at the break. I guess it being St. Patrick's day and all, a larger crowd than usual had turned out. What a great place for a drunk to be on St. Paddy's day--an AA meeting.

The commitment went well and I didn't pass out speaking in front of the crowd. I spoke for about ten or 15 minutes I guess. My story is not all that interesting...I don't have a lot of jackpots to describe. Only the loss of myself. But the program is working for me; that I can attest to in any event. And it was great hearing my group speak.

Today I am grateful for:

Nearly seven months' worth of hangover free mornings

for my sponsor, Karen

that my Dad has been doing well of late

for a Sunday afternoon visit with my parents and a late afternoon nap

Sunday night Thai food take out

5 Comments:

Blogger ArahMan7 said...

There you go, girl. It ain't bad, is it? I know you can do it. What is there for a 10 to 15 mins speech?

Congratulation for your nearly seven months hangover free and your grateful lists.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Well done for doing that and thaks for calling in on me :-)

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bookmark me and I will bookmark you and we can be bookmarker buddies :) LOL
Great to see you out here still sharing!!! And enjoy those visits with the folks :)

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never know who you will reach with your story!!

Seven months feels good, doesn't it?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

I find the "drinking holidays" especially annoying, as my town becomes more and more popular as a tourist destination. I don't like living there anymore; just last weekend some punk threw an empty beer bottle out his car window in front of my house. Bennigan's has a big old parking lot party on St. Pat's day, and the place where I once enjoyed living is starting to seem like year round spring break. I don't feel like there's anything here for me anymore. Though I still love the beach, all the rest of it makes it a "nice place to visit, but..."

Congrats on your 7 months!!!!
Patty

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home