Saturday, February 10, 2007

Weekend Update

Things are going pretty well. Life sober is
better than life drunk though not trouble free by any stretch. I can't believe
it'll be six months in just ten days.

Last night I had a drinking dream and, although I'm usually a pretty lucid
dreamer, I struggled with trying to figure out whether this was happening in
real life or was it a dream. In the dream, I found myself at some kind of
gathering with a Budweiser in my hand. When I realized it, I struggled between
horror at the thought of losing my sober time--specifically having to count day
1 again--and the feeling of f*** it, who's going to know? It was like a devil
vs. angel struggle in my head. Then the lucid me started panicking, trying to
figure out whether I was dreaming or not. I awoke and had a great sense of
relief that it had been only a dream. I mean a real, deep down, to the bone
sense of relief.

Beer was never much my poison of choice, but I figure this must have stemmed
from a work gathering I attended on Wednesday night. On the spur of the moment, I ordered an
O'Douls. It was only okay tasting--my cranberry and ginger ale is much
tastier--but I didn't like the feeling I had standing there holding the glass of
what looked like beer and I swear I felt like I got a little tiny buzz from it.
My husband says there's not enough residual alcohol for that; that I must have
imagined it, but I really didn't like the feeling--I felt like my equilibrium
had been upset just a tad--and I won't be doing that again.

Which is all to say, that I really think sobriety is becoming a way of life with
me. Me? Uncomfortable holding a drink that looks like alcohol? Not liking the
feeling of my chemical balance being thrown off by alcohol? Huh??

It's all good. I wish I could say that about other areas of my life (job and
child issues going on at the moment) but overall my life has improved a lot
since I put down that drink finally last August.

Today I am grateful for:

Many days of hangover free mornings

The SNL short clip "Dick In A Box" that made me howl

Taking my mother grocery shopping today (being able to help out when I can)

The ability to sleep in on weekends

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! I love this post Red and I am soo happy you are sharing a piece of your sobriety journey with us.
Keep doing what you are doing because it is working for ya:)
Thank you for sharing ~

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and about that blackberry pecan ice cream..where might I find that?

12:09 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Glad to see you still on track and enjoying it :-)

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, some people see using dreams as some sort of weird sign. I see them as an opportunity for great gratitude -- just like you did!
Keep up the awesome work!
Peace,
Scout

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are getting this! Little by little your life is improving. I am so glad that you can embrace this. Many times we can get obsessed with "I wish I had." If we step back and look at our lives today, we have so much.

Keep on seeing it. Keep on embracing your sobriety!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are getting this! Little by little your life is improving. I am so glad that you can embrace this. Many times we can get obsessed with "I wish I had." If we step back and look at our lives today, we have so much.

Keep on seeing it. Keep on embracing your sobriety!

4:29 PM  
Blogger ArahMan7 said...

You've got it right, life sober is better than life drunk. You're doing great. Congratulation for your near 6 months.

Greeting from Malaysia.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day Red!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Valentines Day and many more ~

2:09 PM  
Blogger JennaM said...

I saw Dick in a Box too, and howled...

Interesting about the O'Douls and the dream... but don't worry it too much. Six months is a lot of time!

All best,
JennaM

2:44 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Thanks for the post!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Politically Homeless said...

I tried O'Douls once and just couldn't get into it.

You are doing very well!

3:20 AM  
Blogger Meg Moran said...

Six months yikes, time flys...congrats. Yeah, I hate those dreams, but I always learn something. Keep posting!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Dharma Kelleher said...

After 10+ years of sobriety, I still have a drinking dream once in a great while. Then I wake up, realize that it was just a nightmare, and am that much more grateful for my sobriety.

Peace,
Dharmashanti

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home