Sunday, May 06, 2007

Is this how I want to spend my life??

It's been suggested at my job that I take over some new responsibilities that would require me to learn a new area. Normally, I'd be excited but the area is highly technical and, in a word, boring. I spent this weekend trying to do a lot of reading to get up to speed for a meeting that I have tomorrow on the topic and I was bored to tears. Plus, I had a zillion things to do around the house, it was a nice spring weekend and I didn't want to be in the house studying, dang it.

So here I sit and whine after a long day...it could be worse, I could be trying to do this with a hangover.

I have been around drinking a lot in the past couple of weeks, on vacation and then at work events. I don't care for it, not the least reason is that I still get the urge to pick up now and again and I don't like being that close to the poison. I really have to think the drink through to the end. Or drinks, I should say...it is never just one. I'd resent having to stick to just one or two. If I'm going to drink, I want boatloads, oceans and rivers full. Knowing this has kept me away from one.

Today, I am grateful for:

Many months hangover free

Fish tacos (they were excellent)

The people I know in my meetings

That being seen at an AA meeting is no longer such a horrible thought to me

For the sight of Venus in the evening sky

For the smell of fresh cut grass

3 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

I like your gratitude lists. I should try it myself; I've been so down lately. I also need to get out of my own head by trying to do more for others. Even if my motivation is selfish (to make myself feel a little better about me), it never hurts. Last summer I sent thank you notes to everyone that had to deal with me when I had my staph infection. Even though I didn't expect or get responses, it felt good doing something like that for some people that have to put up with patients like me and probably never get thanked. Sorry so long...

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fresh cut grass, I hear, or smell it! I love the sound of a lawn mow in the background too, makes me remember Saturday mornings!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Irish said...

Hi, I am new to this blog-business, but I have somehow found your site. Just want you to know that I find your story inspiring and your frankness refreshing. Thank you for the service you are performing for yourself and others here.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home