Saturday, March 31, 2007

Wow, Time flies

I was surprised to see how long it has been since I've made an entry in my blog.

I'm still here and still sober. Things have been a tad emotional lately as my Dad is back in the hospital. He went in for some planned surgery and had a heart attack while he was there. His heart is already so damaged. Apparently, his kidney function is so diminished, fluids are building up in his chest, and a whole host of other things are going wrong. I feel so badly for him. He told the doctor today he doesn't want to be resuscitated if he goes into cardiac arrest. I understand how he feels. He's been very ill since last fall. He's tired of it. He doesn't have a lot of hope of getting better.

My relationship with my Dad hasn't always been a smooth one. He was a difficult, angry man when I was growing up. He mellowed considerably once we kids were grown. I also understand where he was coming from so much better than I could as a kid or a teenager-his family background, his marriage to my Mom. I think he did the best that he could and tried to love us as best as he could.

I love him and I am going to miss him a great deal when he passes on.

Tonight I am grateful for:

many mornings of no hangovers

time I am able to spend with my Dad

that he understands I love him and I understand he loves me

that he remained healthy for so many years (he's 84 now)

that I had an AA meeting to go to tonight after an emotional day and that I don't need to drink over any of this

3 Comments:

Blogger lash505 said...

Ha, I am with you. Life on life's terms sometimes means no blogging.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Yep, I agree

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a battle ur dad has been in. I am glad that you are able to be by his side in this and gain this essential but yes difficult experience during your sobriety. May you continue to walk this challenging path, and discover what you need to along this way.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home