Thursday, January 27, 2005

Friends

I talked to a friend tonight whom I have known forever and love very dearly. She is trying to quit cigarettes and she is very addicted. I actually managed to quit three plus years ago and I feel her pain.

In talking to her, I mentioned how once I quit smoking, my drinking really took off. And it really did, although this friend and I are separated by distance enough that I'm not sure she perceives a drinking problem on my part. Just partying when we get together a couple of times of year, isn't it?

I think she would be sympathetic to my not drinking, she is a wonderful friend. But I have a hard time letting go of 20 years of shared bottles of wine. Can you have intimacy with the friends ( and she is a real friend not a drinking buddy) over a seltzer? People say yes. I just don't know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

I know what you mean, it does seem less intimate without a drink and not something I've tried but I'm sure its possible. I think its probably practice actually! Probably easier if neither if you are drinking though, couldnt do it if the other person was drinking. I hate talking to drunks!!!!! :-) If she is a good friend it might help to confide in her re your drinking problem too, I'm sure she'd be supportive. Not something I've done much of either, its all my big secret and thats what makes it harder to beat I think.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home