Friday, May 25, 2007

Doctor Lawyer Indian Chief

Last night I had the opportunity to speak at a commitment. It's
only about the fourth time I've ever done this and only the second time I've been on a
commitment.

This particular meeting was around the corner from my office. I have
never attended any meetings near the office out of fear of being
seen going in, knowing folks when I get there, or God forbid, someone from my
job whom I do not know recognizing me (I'm known to folks in my company that I
would not not necessarily know or recognize). But I went to this meeting,
because the fear of being outed is leaving me as I out myself. Also, my sponsor and group members were coming into town from the suburbs for it and we had made it a date.

The meeting was the biggest meeting I have ever attended. It was
enormous. And when my turn to speak came, I was fairly terrified by the crowd of about 100 people. (I am a terrified public speaker, a
major career handicap for me.) Well, I get up to the podium and don't you know
but that smack dab in the middle of the second row was R., a very influential
partner at the law firm I used to work at up until a couple of years ago. I'm
pretty sure he recognized me and I'm also pretty sure he was uncomfortable about
being recognized by me. Something about his being there galvanized me and I was
able to speak about my alcoholism and my recovery in a way I have never been
able to before--comfortably, with acceptance, and with a real desire to have
what I say make contact in helping another alcoholic know it's okay, we are all
in this together. Whether we are respected professionals or streetwalkers. Big
shots or bums. It happens to all kinds of people.

I ended my piece with a description of how I'd been nervous to attend a meeting
so close to my office in case someone recognized me. And then I said I said
"well, if you recognize me, I want to say hello. I am one of you." And you know what? I meant it!

I just didn't care if R. or anyone else knew that I was a member too. I had a
feeling of the collective "we" that I have never really experienced before. Not
even when I was drinking trying to get that "part of" feeling.

Anyway, R. took off before I had a chance to speak to him after the meeting but
a lot of people came up to me after the meeting to thank me for my share and one
guy mentioned how the lawyer who sat in front of him at every meeting had paced
the sidewalk outside for several weeks before getting up the nerve to go in, he
was so afraid of seeing someone he knew. He was speaking of R, it turned out.

I don't know if R. left quickly to avoid me but I do hope I run into him again.
Gee, I'm not terminally unique after all.

Today I am grateful for:

Waking up hangover free today and many days before this

That I finally got the good sense to get into the program rather than do it on my own

That I am not terminally unique after all

That today is a gorgeous day

That this weekend is a long weekend

12 Comments:

Blogger Nael C. Robes said...

Good for you! It sounds like your talk went well and you are getting comfortable with your new 'membership'.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Al In The County said...

I think most people in the program take anonymity very seriously. I'd be very surprised if someone would break that.

Congrats on your big speaking breakthrough.

8:04 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

This brings a tear to my eye. Besides the anonymity issue (which I don't mean to downplay), more importantly, I suspect that you now "get it".
This thing is life or death. Our ego must be smashed.

8:08 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

Most excellent post Red. I love it.
oxoox
JJ

9:30 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

It is funny who you see in meeting isn't it

5:44 AM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Wow, you sound great! You have come a long way baby! I am really proud of your accomplishment there. I had to quit going to the jail for a meeting because so many of the inmates ride the buses that I work on. I got a call at the office asking for that alcoholic gal that works there. I did not appreciate that at all! I never feel comfortable speaking as the main speaker, but I never refuse.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Recovery Road London said...

That was a fantastic post. Thanks so much. I wish I could have been there to hear your share.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful post.
awesome work.
fabulous you!
Scout

10:11 PM  
Blogger Recovery Road London said...

Just stopping by to say Hi!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Sobriety is a precious gift.
Thank the Lord every day for your sobriety. I went to a meeting last night and saw a gal that has been out for three years after 12 years of sobriety.
She is a mess.
She looks like a hag where she used to be pretty.
She has no teeth.
She is all bloated.
She is only 59 years old.
I pray for her.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This puts a smile on my face. Lots of courage you show. By doing such you are growing.

If you are exposed to someone in the program that may happen to work where you work then perhaps your HP wanted your paths to meet.

:)

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that post was especially moving for me. thanks for sharing that. i have similar experiences.

I believe overcoming fear and learning to become a part of has been the most intense part of my last two years.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home