Sunday, May 13, 2007

Out of the Closet

Tonight I outed myself as an alcoholic completely with my siblings and their spouses, even using the dreaded "A" word that I have only really used in meetings thus far. Only my sister has known about why I quit drinking and even with her I have never said "alcoholic." Reactions were very supportive and my brothers surprised me with their affection and support. (Although my younger brother wanted to know wasn't I supposed to make amends to him for every time I teased him growing up...) As usual there was some surprise..."you never seemed to drink very much"...that kind of thing.

It feels freeing to be myself. And it also comforts me to know that I now no longer have an out to drink at family functions where the beer is usually plentiful. That door is now closed.

Hope everyone had a good sober weekend. Things are a little less ouchy for me today.

Today I am grateful for:

Waking up on a gorgeous spring day with no hangover

The green grass, the purple azaleas, the smell of lilacs

The Mother's Day gifts I received from my sons (a scented candle and a handwritten poem)

The opportunity to be with my own Mom, as well as Dad and siblings

Taking a walk with my 19 month old niece and seeing the world through her eyes...priceless (we stopped and sang the Wheels on the Bus in the middle of the street)

9 Comments:

Blogger Trudging said...

Yes, those wheels on the bus do go round and round. Good job outing yourself.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

Good for you! I still have trouble using the "A" word, too. I still tend to perceive myself as having been "borderline" when I quit, and so I usually tell people I had developed a "problem" that was just about to get totally out of hand and, being the weenie that I am, I quit before any of the really bad stuff happened. I suppose that's skirting the issue a bit; yes, I'm an alcoholic, too. It just has such an awful connotation, and people always imagine the worst!

I've still gotta work on that gratitude business...

1:52 PM  
Blogger Nael C. Robes said...

I bet you'll find the gatherings easier (maybe more annoying) now that you don't have to refuse a beer every 15 minutes. I hung around the kids at the first couple family get togethers because I was nervous.

2:10 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

Progress.
Lots of it.
Sweet.

8:58 PM  
Blogger kel said...

Betcha it felt GOOD to set yourself free. Good for you!!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Recovery Road London said...

That's a brave step you took. I'm pleased your family are being supportive. Your wee brother's reaction made me alugh. My younger sister joked the same way about pulling her pigtails and knicking her sweets when we were kids.

Have a groovy day. :-)

9:47 AM  
Blogger ArahMan7 said...

Thanks for the comment. My city looked beautiful at night. Neons are everywhere. Tonight, we were able to watch firework. I hope to post the firework's video on HNT next week. Tomorrow (Sunday) still more celebrations. I hope the Sultan other son/daughter will get married soon, so that my city will be beautiful again and full of celebrations!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courage you hold. It was not all that bad right? Our head makes it out to be as such. However in my own experience when I have outted myself to normie family and friends there lies an enormous support from them.

Good 4 U.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks as another soul struggling with this disease Appreciate your blog.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home