Thursday, February 17, 2005

I feel good tonight!

I had a busy day at work and it was a successful day. I did have a crew try to blindside me into giving a different answer (yes as opposed to no) than my predecessor in this job. However, I was able to push back and I think they realize now I won't be a pushover either.

Had my usual witching hour cravings but I tried some techniques from this book about REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy) that helped me deal with them by talking back to them rationally. ("I know you want a drink but you will do better without one for these reasons: health, career goals, personal growth, absence of trouble....) Anyway, it got me in the door and there's no wine here.

I had a reprieve from my son's math homework (yay, he didn't have any). He is having a hard time so I've been walking him through it every night--not doing it for him though, I hate when parents do that. But he gets frustrated and it's a bit exhausting for me. Then I did 35 minutes on the treadmill at a fast walk. When I finished I felt great! Need to keep that feeling and remember when tomorrow's cravings come.

Then enjoyed a lovely late fish dinner while staying on my WW programs. I feel successful today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

REBT rocks! You won't hear many 12-Steppers say that, but I will use any and all techniques, practices, programs, and prayers to stay sober. My program of recovery is AA, but I always remember what our primary purpose is: To stay sober and to help other alcoholics to achieve recovery. Whatever works, use it!

I'm glad that you had a good day.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

What Lyman says I agree. I use AA, and now I go to help others. My stupid pride has kept me sober since June 21 1987.
My story is in my archives May 15 2004 to Aug 5 2004. I was a fun drunk and now I am a fun sober old lady (56). I've been known to laugh too much during meetings.
Nice to meet you!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Hey congrats on another sucessful day! Which book you reading? I'm investigating this type of approach and I think theres is a lot in it. I think we drinkers are far too prone to negative thinking and changing thought patterns can work. I go round chanting little mantras in my head! The things you do to get through!

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home