Monday, February 21, 2005

Long weekend recap

Well, I forgot completely how great it felt to stay sober and drank Friday and Saturday night. It started with my husband inviting me more or less to drink. "Are you drinking tonight? Because I'm going to." My sober self argued but did not put up too much of a fight. I've since told him I don't want him mentioning drinking around me anymore. I don't want to drink anymore and if he plans to, he will be doing it alone and please don't announce it before hand.

Husband has never said much about my drinking. He doesn't want to talk about it; when I've gone to meetings he doesn't want to hear about them. I'm not sure what his not saying anything signifies. Not caring or not wanting to rock the boat and let me reach my own conclusions. I know he wishes I could drink normally as he likes to go to parties and such.

In any event I didn't drink Sunday or today. Sunday I went shopping with my daughter for jeans. We went to the juniors section for the first time, hoping to find a pair with some length to them. She's very tall for her age and very lean. She found some easily. Then we went looking for a pair for me. Forget it. I used to be tall and lean. Now I'm just tall. That didn't stop me from eating a burger and fries with her, however. It was fun being out just she and me and I did end up with a few new things for spring.

Today was a cocoon kind of day, snowing all day. Slept in, got my workout in early, organized some pictures of my kids, managed to put away all the artwork, report cards, mother's day cards and other kid stuff that I want to preserve for posterity in the attic. Then after dinner, watched American Idol with the kids. I hardly ever watch tv, so it was an experience. God, there is some really bad music out there.

I did watch "All About My Mother" directed by Pedro Almovar, with my husband last night. It was a good flick although as often happens with European films we were left wondering what it was all about in the end.

Short work week this week as I am taking Friday off for a ski trip with my family. I like being home, but we haven't done much skiing as a family this winter so I think it's time.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're finding it tough - it can't be easy when your husband offers you alcohol - but you can say no. It takes practice and I'm not pretending it's easy - but try and picture where the drink ends up - the first one might be great, the feeling when you wake up the next day not so great.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Hi there. Its is tough when you have someone who seems to be re-enforcing your addictive voice, God knows its hard enough without! As Martin said, I tried to concentrate on how bad I felt the day after and how things like your shopping trip is so much nicer without a hangover. Have you tried to get over to your hubby how strongly you feel about this? Does he drink 'normally' and perhaps not understand what its like to struggle with it? Maybe if you explain you'll be able to go to parties in time and not drink. It wont change his life? Keep at it though. 2 nights drinking this week is still 5 nights off? Thats an achievement.
You asked about Gmail. Its a Google email account and is pretty good. I got an invite from Lyman and its good to have a seperate address and account for my blog (being an annonymity freak too!) I'm sure he'd send you one.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A husband who was alcoholic himself could easily react like your husband does.

Namenlosen Trinker

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sorry youre having a tough time. This too shall pass. I remember trying to stay sober while having an active person in my life, I too could not say no, but I wasnt married to that person and so my choices were easy....Chin up girl, you can do this...One day at a time :)

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you girl...its been 8 days! Hope as is well with you :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

I was going to say that Doughgirl!!

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home